March 21, 2011

The Rod and Staff

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Why would David pick a rod and staff as the means for comfort while in a dark valley?  Why not reassuring words?  Why not a blanket and a plane ride out (not that he knew what a plane was)?  Today I feel as if I gained a bit of insight into David's choice of words.

I had been thinking today about posting.  But I really didn't know where to go with it.  I felt as if my brain needed to write.  It had been a very rough last five days.  Expectations have been completely shattered in so many areas.  Financially, socially, relationally, etc...And our family is on about the fourth week of yet another sickness.  I feel drained, beat down.

Then I happened upon a blog post today that really encouraged me.  But then I realized that many women would not necessarily find this post encouraging.  So it got me thinking...why was it encouraging to me?

Well, first of all I had personally acted out at least two of the scenarios, within the past week, myself.  So I related (and laughed).  But really it had to do with something much more profound. 

The post reminded me of what was most important beyond God.  My role is to love and support my husband.  I am wise if I do my best at "keeping my house" (Proverbs 14:1).  I need to focus on what happens in these four walls and work on preserving peace here at home. 

But I do not feel condemned or guilty by those words.  Have I lived up to them? No.  But still, the refocusing helped me shut-out what was bothering me.  It helped me realize how much more I need to hold my husband's and children's relationships dear and sacred in these times of trial. And really, this 'refocusing' is much more pleasant to think about than all of the circumstances which have turned sour on us.

As a result, all of the worldly trials that pushed inside our home over the last few days are beginning to feel not that big, really, if I can maintain my focus in the right place.

Today this post was my rod and staff.

No comments: